Server 2012 0xc000000f error on import
10 replies, 165 views
Posted on January 10, 2017
Edited by jkent on January 11, 2017
jkent

Hi everyone!

I've run into a funny issue where a fully up-to-date (with nothing else installed apart from the Desktop experience and .net 3.5) Server 2012R2 gold image import creates a 0xc000000f error on desktop creation, missing the file: cmimcext.sys. I've followed the note on this site already (found here: http://www.unidesk.com/support/kb/boot-failure-0xc000000f-newly-imported-os-layer) and that has had no effect. Furthermore, I've created a new VM, and installed server 2012r2 (and not run any windows updates), and this worked fine.

I've gone through and made another completly new VM, installed 2012R2 and run windows update until everything is complete, and reproduced the error.

I'm running a completely new 2.10 build of Unidesk, and absoluetley flummoxed with what to do next! I'd appreciate any and all help!

Thanks!

Posted on January 11, 2017
Gunther Anderson
Unidesk employee

My first guess is that you installed Unidesk and then did additional Windows updates.  So our initial scan of files that need to be on the boot disk is no longer current and complete.  Try this to get us to rescan for boot files on your gold.

http://www.unidesk.com/support/kb/technical-note-reregistering-gold-image

You shouldn't need to do the importwsclient.exe, just the uniservice -b.

Otherwise open a case and we'll see what we can do.  If you look at the file C:\Program Files\Unidesk\Uniservice\bootfile.txt, you'll see what files we have identified need to be on the boot image.  Hopefully, after rescanning, you'll find your missing driver listed.

jkent

Interesting, and thanks for the reply Gunther,

I can confirm that I didn't run any windows updates (or anything for that matter) after installing the unidesk tools - I did that step last, and after disabling the Windows Update service (and rebooting after disabling that service).

I've done what you've suggested (uniservice -b), and the file (c:\Windows\System32\drivers\cmimcext.sysis still missing form the bootfile.txt. I actually had tried this already as part of the boot-failure-0xc000000f-newly-imported-os-layer article on the site, and it didn't seem to have any effect. cmimcext.sys was not placed in the bootfile.txt file.

However, thanks for the tip - I've manually added cmimcext.sys to the bootfile.txt file, and the desktops are now being created correctly - thanks for the tip! Seems like a really strange issue considering that I'm not running anything strange, and I'm happy to provide any further information so that this doesn't happen to any other customers. Unfortunately the support account is in my managers email / account, so I can't start a ticket yet as my account hasn't been approved by you guys (I only applied a few minutes ago so it's understandable!).

Thanks again for the help Gunter.

Gunther Anderson
Unidesk employee

We look for every driver and service with a boot-time start value (and a few other things), so something about cmimcext.sys evades that detection.  Manually adding it to bootfile.txt is the correct solution, but we'll have to look into it to see what it is about that that we can't figure out.  Maybe it's not listed as a device itself but is being called by something else that is.  That kind of hard-coded relationship usually can only be solved with hard-coding it ourselves.  We'll see.

jkent

Wonderful,

Thanks for the help - if you need anything from my end please let me know as I'd be happy to help, I assume that you have access to my email etc.

Thanks again.

Posted on January 13, 2017
danwilson2009

I am experiencing the same issue after installing the December 2016 Quality and Security Rollup for Svr 2012r2.  I can neither import a new gold image or update my current OS layer. 

Gunther Anderson
Unidesk employee

What version of Unidesk are you using?  You would have had to have added a version to an existing OS layer in order to install the update, so you will need to delete the new version where the update is and do it again.  Is it exactly the same file as the above poster?

danwilson2009

Sorry I wasnt more clear.  We are running 2.10 with server 2012r2 as an OS.  I get the error both when trying to create a gold image or when creating a new OS layer for our existing one.  

Yes its the same error as above. I have removed the layer and tried to reinstall the update several times with the same result.

Gunther Anderson
Unidesk employee

If you're in a position to edit your Gold VM and import the new OS layer from it (that is, you have no existing app layers you're worried about losing), then just manually add the file to bootfile.txt and retry the import.  If you can't reimport or don't want to lose the existing layers, open a case and we can get the directions for how to add files to the boot list in an OS version after import.  It's a registry edit to create a fake boot-time service (which we will recognize and process) using the offending file, I just don't have it handy.

Posted on January 17, 2017
danwilson2009

Is there a link with a guide on how to do this?

Posted on January 17, 2017
Gunther Anderson
Unidesk employee

Not publicly, no.  Just open a support case and we'll be happy to work with you.

Login to post comments