Unidesk 4.0.8 / User Layer - Windows 10 1607 LTSB - Start Menu Issues
7 replies, 270 views
Posted on December 29, 2016
Joseph Ruzon

Hello,

I've updated my Unidesk appliance today and begun experimenting with the User Personalization Layer feature on a Windows 10 1607 LTSB Image. It seems to work ok and capture the data as I expect, but as soon as I log into a seperate machine in my non-persistant pool, the start menu and search functions stop working.

This seems to be a pretty well documented issue across a variety of vendors, including earlier verisons of unidesk (2.x). Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this issue? I've already tried turn on Windows Firewall, and a couple other fixes, nothing seems to help so far.

Rob Zylowski
Unidesk employee

Hi Joseph currently the user layer functionality is limited to Win7x64.  Watch the release notes in future versionf ro Win10 support.

Joseph Ruzon

Do we have any timeline on the featureset being offically supported? I have a customer who is depneding on this functionality to rollout a new installation of Unidesk 4.

Rob Zylowski
Unidesk employee

No there is no defined time for it to be ready we are actively working on it as our most important feature.  If you need persistence it is still best to go with 2.x for now.

Posted on January 4, 2017
Edited by Jason Marsh on January 4, 2017
Jason Marsh

Rob,

If the user layer is not yet supported for Windows 10 NP desktops, could Unidesk v4.x be used to deploy persistent desktops the same way v2.9 works?  I mean, In the Images tab, could I just create an individual desktop for each person like I did in the old version?  And if I did that, would I even need the network file share?

edit: after further reading, maybe updating to v2.10 would be a better path than trying to use v4 for persistent Windows 10 desktops???

Posted on January 4, 2017
Rob Zylowski
Unidesk employee

Hi Jason,

In Unidesk 4 there are no persistent desktops.  We use other companies provisioning to deploy images via a np model and we will eventually add in the user persistent elastic layer that allows what users do to be saved into an elastic layer of their own. 

So at this point 2.x is the way to provide a persistent desktop and the user layer will be introduced over the next several months for VDI and XenApp in 4.x.

Rob

Posted 3 days ago
zoetaite

Hey Rob,

Any update with UD4.x and Persistent DT's?

ZT

Posted 3 days ago
Rob Zylowski
Unidesk employee

We have the labs version (beta) out for Win7X64.  We are actively getting feedback on that.  Win10 is taking a bit more development we dont yet have a target date for whne that will come out in beta.  Session based user writable layers will be developed after Win10 comes out.

Login to post comments