currently on 2.9.6 for vmware
9 replies, 163 views
Posted 2 weeks ago
rdifolco

Any words of advice/caution etc?   Did my POC with 2.9.6 but read about 4.  Please share your thoughts.  Do not care about retaining old layers etc..  Will recreate.

Posted 2 weeks ago
Gunther Anderson
Unidesk employee

The major difference between 2.x and 4.x right now is who provisions your machines.  Unidesk 2 and 3 provision machines directly: we're responsible for creating and deleting the desktop and session host machines ourselves.  In V4, we'll make images for other provisioning systems like PVS, MCS, or View Composer.  So if you have a provisioning system you use or want to use, V4 is the right way to go.  But if you want or need Unidesk to actually create and manage your VMs, stay with 2.x.  The current version of 2.x is 2.10.

If you do want to use 4.x, you will need to make all new layers for it.  But V2 and V4 coexist perfectly well, so you can absolutely have them deployed in parallel for testing and evaluation.

Posted 2 weeks ago
rdifolco

That is great to know about having them co-exist.   I will be doing that today.   We currently have Vmware Horizon and it was greatly crippled when using 2.9.6 as the only thing I needed to do it in was assign rights to pools.  So what your saying is in 4.0 I am back to Horizon managing the desktops.

Posted 2 weeks ago
Gunther Anderson
Unidesk employee

Yes.  We'll use layers to build all the base images you need, and you can assign them to Automatic pools for Composer to thin-clone them out.  And with V4 you also get access to the Elastic Layring feature that allows layers to be attached on the fly based on the specific AD user logging in.

Posted 1 week ago
AntonS

... and you lose all user personalisation... so you need a different solution to keep user settings if using linked clone pools.

in my opinion v4 is not ready for vmware view until there is something done to address user personalisation

Posted 1 week ago
Edited by Unidesk employee Andrew Nadeau 1 week ago
Andrew Nadeau
Unidesk employee
The User Layer is in Unidesk Labs as of the most recent release of Unidesk 4 (December 2016): http://www.unidesk.com/support/december-2016-release-unidesk-4

Right now Windows 7 64-bit is supported for Citrix XenDesktop and VMware Horizon. Additional operating systems and session environments will be supported going forward.
Posted 1 week ago
AntonS

Thanks Andrew, I wasn't aware it was released yet.

The release notes say user layer is "ready for testing". Does that mean it is not intended for production yet?

We just became Unidesk customers (to find out a week later that we are now Citrix customers, when it took as some time to get rid of Citrix and put in VMware :)), but that's besides the point.  We were told that 2.x is all that can support user profiles.

We are in  pilot phase and about to begin deployment.  Should we be looking at 4.x again now that user layer functionality is in?

Posted 1 week ago
Gunther Anderson
Unidesk employee

The user persistence in V2 is still a bit more robust than what is in V4.  In V4, we have user-specific VHDs that are added only at login time, which means that there are things that it might capture but won't be part of Windows early enough.  Many startup services can't really be layered in this way, for instance.  The V2 user persistence covers the entire machine from startup to shutdown.  It will be better about handling all user-installed software and non-user-specific settings you want to make.  V4 User Layers do cover an awful lot of cases, though.  The difference is in the timing.

But really I still think it all comes down to whether you want Unidesk to actually create your VMs or if you have another provisioning system you prefer.

Posted 1 week ago
AntonS

Thanks Gunther,
Interesting choice to use VHD instead of VMDK for VMware... I guess something that can apply to all hypervisors.

Is there any documentation that talks about where the VHD lives and performance difference between 2.x personalisation layer and 4.x user layer?
eg if VHD was on a file share then performance will be much slower than a VMDK attached to the machine. And a whole lot of other limitations and reliability issues with VHD on file shares. (been through that already with another product)

We don't use user-insalled apps.  Only need user state persistence functionality.  Does that mean 4.x should take care of that reliably?

Posted 1 week ago
Gunther Anderson
Unidesk employee

The VHDs are indeed mounted from a file share, specifically for portability.  A VMDK is only accessible from a machine on a host with access to the datastore, but a VHD on a file share is accessible from any authorized Windows machine on the network.  I don't believe there is any performance comparison document anywhere, but for boring user desktops, I wouldn't particularly expect a measurable difference.

V4 should work fine for you.  V4 also completely, peacefully coexists with V2, so there's no real reason you have to choose between them.  You can't share layers between them, but you can absolutely run them side by side.

Login to post comments