VDI Image Management
Windows Image Management
Finally, one Gold Image to patch.
Unidesk is the only way to keep Windows clean in VDI, and ensure you only have one gold image to patch for all of your persistent and non-persistent virtual desktops.
"Instead of having to build a custom image for each lab, Unidesk lets us concentrate on which applications we want to deliver. We can layer even complex apps like MATLAB, SPSS and Office in a few minutes, then pick which layers we want to go with our gold image. I’d hate to think of trying to do VMware View without Unidesk."
Jeremy Ey, Systems Administrator, Tennessee Tech University
What do these customers have in common? One Gold Image for VDI.
How is Unidesk Windows Image Management Different?
One Gold Image
With Unidesk’s advanced layering technology, you can package any application as its own read-only, shareable VMDK – even the ones that are too hard for traditional application virtualization. This means your Windows OS layer can be kept clean. You’ll finally have one true golden image that can be used as the basis for all desktops, no matter how many different desktop pools and application combinations you have.
Persistent and Non-Persistent Desktops
You no longer have to choose non-persistent desktops to get the benefits of single image management. Now you can let your use cases determine which desktop type is best. With Unidesk layering technology, a single Windows OS layer can be the foundation for all of your non-persistent and persistent virtual desktops, so you’re always just patching once.
Patch Forward. And Back
Nobody’s perfect. Sometimes patches don’t work as expected. Unidesk has you covered. Our OS layer versions capture all of your patches and updates, so you can keep track of every Windows file and registry key that has changed, comply with audits, and easily rollback your desktops to undo mistakes or fix problems.
Agentless and Failure-Proof
Unlike traditional desktop management solutions that use an agent to install a Windows patch 20 times to deploy it to 20 VMs, Unidesk requires only one install. Start the layering process, apply all the Windows hot fixes and updates you want, and click Finalize. All changes are captured as a new OS layer version. The new layer is stored as a read-only, shared VMDK that is accessed by all 20 VMs. This “package once, deploy to any number of desktops” innovation leverages virtualization to eliminate the install failures and help desk escalations common with legacy agent-based tools.
"Our sister region already had 20 Windows images for a pretty small VDI rollout because they couldn’t virtualize all of their apps. We’re bigger and have more apps, so we knew we’d end up with over 50 images. Unidesk is enabling us to scale Citrix XenDesktop with 1 image. Unidesk rocks."
Sheranga Jayasinghe, Director of IT , Sunrise Health
Simple Windows Patching
Patch Tuesday shouldn’t last all week. With Unidesk, it will be done by your morning coffee break. Apply all of your patches and updates once to create an OS layer version. Then let Unidesk rebuild all of your desktops to access this same shared layer.
More Windows Image Management Features
- Image import. Give us your cleanest Windows Gold Image. We’ll make it into an OS layer and store it as a read-only VMDK, so you can start building desktops using the same, pristine Windows image.
- Broad Windows support. Use Windows XP, Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit Data Center Edition, or Windows 8 as the base image for your virtual desktops.
- Layer filters. Filter desktops based on OS layer assignments for licensing compliance, audits, and analytics.
- Patch and version management. Track every change to Windows with layer versioning. Access a clean VM with just your current Gold Image on it. Install any patches and updates, add a descriptive label, and assign the new OS layer version to any number of desktops.
- Rollback. Assign an earlier OS layer version to desktops to “undo” patching problems.
- Space efficiency. Store OS layers once as a shared VMDK to reduce storage, instead of storing Windows once for every VM.
Do it all with just one platform.
Unidesk includes everything you need to provision, patch, and manage virtual desktops,
plus acclaimed support to help you master VDI.