Unidesk Application Management for Manufacturing
Unidesk Application Management for Manufacturing
Unidesk is the package-once, deliver-anywhere app management solution for modern Windows workspaces, bringing new levels of app mobility to users and new levels of efficiency to IT.
The Proven Way to Manage and Update CAD
AutoCAD®, SOLIDWORKS®, and other CAD applications are critical in manufacturing. Unidesk is the proven solution for virtualizing and managing them in Citrix XenApp and VDI environments. Here are the technical reasons why Unidesk is better than any other application management technology for CAD.
- Simple app packaging. With Unidesk, you install CAD one time like you would on a regular desktop. All files, directories, and registry keys are captured as a virtual disk "layer." The layer can now be assigned to any number of virtual machines or sessions without ever having to install the app again.
- Looks like a local install. Unlike app virtualization technologies that use process isolation technology to hide apps from Windows, Unidesk layering uses file system and registry virtualization technology to seamlessly blend assigned the CAD layer with other app layers and your base Windows operating system layer. Your CAD apps will look like they have been hand-installed everywhere.
- Full app interoperability. CAD often needs to interoperate with PDF writers and other applications. App virtualization technologies that isolate apps in protective bubbles hide apps from each other, preventing this interoperability. Unidesk layered apps appear locally installed, enabling CAD to cross-communicate as expected.
- Instant rollback. Updates to CAD software can sometimes have unintended side effects. Unidesk layers enable you to “undo” patches to quickly resolve issues and avoid costly downtime. Simply assign an earlier version of the CAD layer, and all VMs and sessions will be rolled back to their previous working state.
Best for Other Manufacturing Apps, Too
Manufacturers have many use cases, requiring many different Windows desktop applications. Why waste time trying to virtualize them with other application management solutions? Even with dedicated experts, you'll find that some apps take days or even weeks to package. And at best, you'll only succeed in virtualizing 60-70% of your apps. You'll still need a strategy to deliver the rest.
Unidesk is the only proven solution that can manage and deliver all apps. Anyone on your IT team can package any Windows desktop application as a virtual disk container in a few minutes. Create as many of these layers as you want with an ordinary install. Then simply assign them to any number of virtual desktops or session hosts through point and click. It's that easy.
Microsite 2015 Shared - Every Platform every Cloud
Citrix? Microsoft? VMware? Cloud? Yes.
Many organizations deliver key apps through Citrix XenApp. Unidesk eliminates image management inefficiencies common in XenApp environments. By leveraging Unidesk integration with Citrix Provisioning Server, you will only patch Windows and apps once, instead of once for every XenApp silo and vDisk. And with Unidesk Elastic Layering and Session Container innovations, you can expand XenApp to 100% of your apps and all users by giving all users - for the first time - their own unique apps and persistent personalization.
For Citrix XenDesktop and VMware Horizon, Unidesk is simply the fastest and easiest way to virtualize every app and provide every VDI user with a personal user experience.
Unidesk works with all other end user computing, hypervisor, and cloud solutions as well, so you can keep your options open. Use Unidesk to:
- Eliminate image sprawl in Citrix XenApp or Microsoft RDSH server farms.
- Expand existing XenApp infrastructure to all apps and users with VDI-like capabilities.
- Simplify app delivery in VDI environments with Citrix XenDesktop or VMware Horizon.
- Implement virtual desktops at much lower cost with Microsoft VDI on Hyper-V.
- Leverage Azure to deliver Windows apps from the cloud.
Less Time Personalizing, More Time Producing
Manufacturing has high concentrations of engineers, scientists, and other knowledge workers who demand a consistent user experience. Whether they’re working at the main plant, connecting from a remote office, or catching up at home, they’ll be more efficient if they can resume working where they left off, with all of their customizations intact. VDI and XenApp sessions can lose personal settings, forcing users to spend valuable time re-arranging icons, redoing settings, and re-installing plug-ins.
With Unidesk, users spend less time re-personalizing their workspaces, and more time producing. Unidesk preserves all changes – icons, settings, plug-ins, even user-installed apps. Yet administrators can rest easy knowing that these user customizations will not interfere with the rest of the workspace controlled by IT.
Benefits for all Stakeholders
End users save minutes a day with personalized applications and desktops. Access to data and apps from anywhere within large manufacturing plants or remote locations is available through any computing device.
IT spends less time keeping CAD, standard apps, internally developed manufacturing apps, and Windows up to date. Day-to-day app management, patching, and break/fix are transitioned to help desk and Tier 1 administrators, freeing up senior IT staff.
Leadership maintains compliance and control with data center-hosted desktops and apps that are more secure, more up-to-date, and more accessible. End user computing is future-proof, with an easy path to the cloud.
Unidesk Manufacturing Customers
Featured Case Studies
Global leader in concrete construction solutions deploys VDI with Cisco, Nimble Storage, Unidesk, and VMware to enhance application flexibility and put desktop management back in the hands of the help desk.View Case Study →
Trek Bicycle is using VDI with Cisco, Unidesk, and VMware to free employees from lugging laptops to and from work - so they can commute with their bikes instead of their cars.View Case Study →
Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing USA
Unidesk and Citrix XenDesktop help keep the good times rolling for this leading manufacturer's expanding VDI implementation.View Case Study →
This Swiss engineering firm is disproving the common misconception that graphics-intensive apps cannot be used in virtual environments. Unidesk has enabled CSD to virtualise all 300 of its apps - including CAD.View Case Study →